Rosslyn Mitchell

Rosslyn Mitchell


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Edward Rosslyn Mitchell est né en Écosse le 16 mai 1863. Il devint notaire en 1904 et fut membre du conseil municipal de Glasgow (1909-1925).

Initialement membre du Parti libéral, Mitchell a ensuite rejoint le Parti travailliste indépendant et a commencé à travailler en étroite collaboration avec d'autres socialistes à Glasgow, notamment John Wheatley, Emanuel Shinwell, James Maxton, David Kirkwood, Campbell Stephen, William Gallacher, John Muir, Tom Johnston, Neil Maclean, George Hardie, George Buchanan et James Welsh.

Lors des élections générales de 1922, Mitchell a été élu à la Chambre des communes pour Glasgow Central. Plusieurs autres militants socialistes basés à Glasgow ont également réussi, notamment David Kirkwood, John Wheatley, Campbell Stephen, Emanuel Shinwell, James Maxton, John Muir, Tom Johnston, Neil Maclean, George Hardie, George Buchanan et James Welsh.

Mitchell a pris sa retraite au Parlement lors des élections générales de 1929. mais a continué à être un membre actif du conseil municipal de Glasgow.

Edward Rosslyn Mitchell est décédé le 31 octobre 1965.

De la périphérie extérieure de la ville à son cœur même, Glasgow résonnait du message du socialisme. Moins d'une semaine après le jour du scrutin, il semblait probable que toute l'équipe des onze gagnerait, que Bonar Law serait vaincu et que le socialisme serait triomphant. Une telle énergie, enthousiasme et sérieux n'avaient pas été connus à Glasgow depuis des générations. Nous étions là, des hommes qui, quelques années auparavant, avaient été méprisés, certains d'entre nous en prison et beaucoup d'autres tout près d'elle, étant maintenant les hommes auxquels le peuple plaçait sa foi.

Quand, enfin, les résultats ont été annoncés, tous les membres de l'équipe ont été élus - à l'exception de notre champion de la division centrale. Quelle troupe nous étions ! John Wheatley, cool et calculateur et intrépide ; James Maxton, dont le discours courtois et le désintéressement total ont fait que les gens le considèrent comme un saint et un martyr ; petit Jimmie Stewart, si petit, si sobre, et pourtant si déterminé ; Neil MacLean, plein de feu sans fureur ; Thomas Johnston, la tête pleine de faits comme un œuf plein de viande ; George Hardie, ingénieur et chimiste et frère de Keir Hardie ; George Buchanan, modéliste, qui connaissait mieux que nous le côté humain de la pauvreté ; James Welsh, mineur et poète de Coatbridge, John W. Muir, un gentleman héroïque et galant ; et le vieux Bob Smillie, revenu pour une circonscription anglaise, bien qu'il soit né en Irlande et ait grandi en Écosse.

Nous pensions que ce peuple, ce peuple britannique, pouvait et était disposé à se lier d'amitié avec tous les autres peuples. Nous étions prêts à renoncer à toutes les indemnités et à toutes les réparations, à supprimer toutes les restrictions harcelantes imposées par les traités de paix. Nous étions tous puritains. Nous étions tous abstinents. La plupart d'entre nous ne fumaient pas. Nous étions l'étoffe de la réforme.


Les comtes de Rosslyn

OL'un des aspects les plus intelligents du système écossais de pairie et d'honneurs est que, dans l'ancienne tradition celtique, il est habituel que la succession et les titres passent à la femelle la plus proche et à sa progéniture en l'absence d'un héritier mâle immédiat. Le raisonnement derrière cela est simple. Puisque la mère porte l'enfant avant la naissance, il y a au moins affirmation de la lignée maternelle, sinon celle du père. Non pas que cela, dans un monde d'égalité des chances entre les sexes, cherche à jeter le doute sur la pratique établie de longue date et largement approuvée de la primogéniture masculine, mais cela a du sens lorsqu'une terre est à saisir ou qu'un titre ancien est en danger d'extinction. extinction. Cela m'a toujours surpris que cette décision éminemment sensée ne s'applique qu'à la pairie écossaise et rarement aux titres britanniques (tels que les duchés), sauf sous un reste spécial. Cela aurait procuré à l'Angleterre un sentiment d'identité ancestrale et de continuité bien plus grand qu'il n'en existe aujourd'hui.

En 1778, lorsque le dernier membre de la lignée mâle St Clair de Rosslyn mourut, seul un modeste héritage passa à sa seule fille survivante, Sarah, qui était mariée à Peter Wedderburn, un avocat très respecté d'Édimbourg. Lorsque Wedderburn a été nommé juge de la Court of Session, il a pris le titre de courtoisie de Lord Chesterhall. Ils eurent un fils et une fille, Alexandre et Janet, et Alexandre, ayant suivi son père dans la profession juridique, dépassa toutes les attentes. En 1762, lorsqu'il poursuivit la célèbre cause Douglas au nom de la belle veuve duchesse de Hamilton et de son jeune fils, Sir Alexander Wedderburn était considéré comme l'un des principaux avocats de sa génération.

La cause Douglas, l'affaire juridique qui a décidé de l'avenir d'un autre grand héritage - terres, propriétés et titres - après la mort du premier et dernier duc de Douglas, a secoué la société hanovrienne du XVIIIe siècle au nord et au sud de la frontière. Lorsque les domaines Douglas ont été revendiqués par le feu neveu du duc, dont la légitimité était suspecte &ndash sa mère, la sœur duc&rsquos, avait plus de cinquante ans lorsqu'elle a donné naissance à des jumeaux et il a été allégué qu'ils ont été adoptés &ndash il a été défié par la famille de son parent du 7e duc de Hamilton. Pour commencer, la Scottish Court of Session s'est prononcée en faveur de la demande de Hamiltons&rsquo, mais la décision a été annulée par la Chambre des Lords. 1

Sir Alexander Wedderburn était entré en politique l'année précédente et deviendrait Lord Chancelier de Grande-Bretagne dans le gouvernement de William Pitt. En 1780, il est élevé à la pairie en tant que Lord Loughborough dans le comté de Surrey. En 1801, il prit le titre de 1er comte de Rosslyn en reconnaissance de sa famille mère. Il mourut à son domicile de Windsor en 1805 des suites d'une crise de goutte et fut enterré dans la cathédrale Saint-Paul de Londres. Bien que marié deux fois, le premier comte n'avait pas d'enfants, mais telle était l'influence qu'il exerçait à une époque où le statut héréditaire représentait encore quelque chose qu'avant sa mort, il s'arrangea pour que tous ses titres et domaines hérités soient transmis à son neveu Sir James. St Clair-Erskine, le fils tout aussi talentueux de sa sœur, Janet, qui avait épousé Sir Henry Erskine. La belle-mère de Janet, Katherine Erskine, était, bien sûr, la sœur cadette du général St Clair, et donc aussi leur cousine. Sir James St Clair-Erskine, qui siégeait en tant que député de Kirkcaldy, devait couronner sa propre carrière avec le rang de Lord Président du Conseil dans la coalition Sir Robert Peel&rsquos Tory/Whig de 1834.

À tous points de vue, le portefeuille d'Alexander Wedderburn était substantiel. En plus de la propriété en Angleterre, il y avait le château de Ravenscraig, 3 000 acres de terrain à Fife, et le tout aussi prestigieux, mais à ce stade plutôt négligé, Rosslyn Estate à Midlothian, qui, avec Dysart House à Fife, est revenu à la ligne Rosslyn. de la famille à la suite du décès de son grand-oncle le général Sir James St Clair et de son cousin le colonel James Patterson.

À mesure que le XIXe siècle avançait, Roslin Glen et la ville elle-même acquièrent une nouvelle célébrité. Déjà un site de beauté célèbre, la gorge de la rivière North Esk et ses forêts environnantes ont été défendues dans les écrits du romancier à succès Sir Walter Scott, qui, au début du siècle, résidait à Lasswade, à proximité. Lorsque George IV a visité Édimbourg en 1822, le premier monarque britannique régnant à poser le pied sur le sol écossais depuis plus de 200 ans, l'Écosse réclamait un sentiment d'appartenance nationale et l'a trouvé non seulement dans les montagnes, les vallons et les clans des Highlands, mais dans le paysage poétique des Lowlands écossais. La chapelle de Rosslyn est peut-être devenue l'une des grandes destinations touristiques du XXIe siècle, mais les Hanovriens et les Victoriens d'il y a deux siècles ont également afflué ici par milliers, y compris, comme on pouvait s'y attendre, la reine Victoria elle-même.

En 1842, au tout début de sa première visite en Écosse, séjournant chez le 5e duc de Buccleuch au palais de Dalkeith, à quelques minutes en calèche, elle insista pour visiter la chapelle Rosslyn, dont elle avait tant entendu parler. Elle a été tellement impressionnée par ce qu'elle a vu le 14 septembre 1842 qu'elle a exprimé le désir qu'un « joyau unique » soit préservé pour le pays. Pour le meilleur ou pour le pire, cela a ouvert les vannes pour Rosslyn en tant qu'attraction touristique.

À ce stade, Lord Rosslyn avait déjà chargé l'architecte William Burn de commencer les réparations à l'extérieur. Cependant, il faudra encore vingt ans avant que l'intérieur de la chapelle, peut-être à la suite d'un nouveau coup de pouce de Sa Majesté, ne reprenne vie. En 1861, le 3e comte de Rosslyn a été cajolé par sa cousine par alliance, Lady Helen Wedderburn, fille du 7e comte d'Airlie, pour réintroduire les services du dimanche. L'architecte David Bryce a été sommairement approché pour commencer les travaux de restauration au coût de 3 000 £. Des dalles ont été posées dans la crypte, un nouvel autel a été introduit et les sculptures endommagées de la chapelle de la Dame ont été réparées. Afin de compenser une partie des coûts des installations et des accessoires, l'entreprenante Lady Helen, qui vivait à Rosebank House sur le domaine, a lancé une campagne d'abonnement qui a été largement soutenue par la noblesse écossaise au loin.

Cependant, tout le monde n'était pas satisfait de la qualité des travaux de restauration. Un artiste anonyme est même allé jusqu'à écrire au Écossais journal déplorant que les traits qui, aux yeux de sa profession, faisaient de la chapelle un tel objet d'intérêt, d'étude et d'affection, se soient perdus à jamais. Une réaction similaire a été déclenchée dans certains quartiers par le nettoyage de la pierre de la nouvelle ville d'Édimbourg à la fin du siècle suivant, mais dans le cas de la chapelle, elle semble avoir été largement orientée vers les « embellissements injustifiés » imposés à certaines des sculptures.

Indépendamment d'une telle controverse, la chapelle Rosslyn a été reconsacré par l'évêque Terrot d'Édimbourg le mardi de Pâques, le 22 avril 1862, et officiellement rouverte au public avec l'évêque Forbes de Brechin prêchant le premier sermon. Le révérend Cole, aumônier militaire à Greenlaw Barracks, près de Penicuik, fut constitué en tant qu'aumônier domestique de Lord Rosslyn. Quatre ans plus tard, le 3e comte a été remplacé par son fils qui, dans les années qui ont suivi, a chargé Andrew Kerr, un jeune architecte, de créer une abside pour servir de baptistère, avec une tribune d'orgue au-dessus. Une fine entrelacs de chêne affiche le blason de la famille, et au total, y compris les honoraires de Kerr&rsquos, les travaux ont coûté au domaine un montant substantiel de 792 £, l'équivalent aujourd'hui de 46 000 £. L'imposant tombeau du 4e comte est situé devant l'entrée du baptistère.

Tout reste des vitraux d'origine dans les fenêtres de la chapelle avait été détruit pendant la Réforme, et pendant une longue période, il n'y avait pas de verre du tout dans les ouvertures, la seule protection étant assurée par des volets extérieurs. Au moment de la restauration de 1862, cependant, ils avaient été émaillés de verre clair. En visitant la chapelle Rosslyn aujourd'hui, il est donc important de comprendre que les vitraux en forme de joyaux de la chapelle Lady sont d'origine victorienne. Dans les six fenêtres se trouvent les douze apôtres, leur conception créée en 1867 pour Francis, 4e comte de Rosslyn, par Clayton & Bell de Londres, et dédiée à la mémoire de ses parents.

Dans l'aile est se trouvent St Jean-Baptiste avec un agneau sur un livre, St Paul avec une épée, St Marc et St Luc. Les trois fenêtres du bas-côté nord présentent des images de l'Annonciation et de la Nativité, de la Présentation au Temple, du Baptême de Jésus, du Sermon sur la montagne et de la traite miraculeuse des poissons. Dans les trois fenêtres de l'allée sud se trouvent des interprétations du miracle de la fête des noces de Cana, de la résurrection de la fille de Jaïrus, du Christ bénissant les petits enfants, de la dernière Cène, de la crucifixion et de la résurrection.

La fenêtre est, dédiée à la mémoire de la 4e sœur du comte, Harriet, comtesse de Derneburg à Hanovre, montre la résurrection de Notre-Seigneur. La fenêtre ouest présente Notre Seigneur béni en gloire. En 1887, le comte fit élever deux autres fenêtres, l'une montrant saint Georges et le dragon et dédiée à la mémoire d'Andrew Kerr, qui avait supervisé la construction du baptistère et décédé depuis, la seconde représentant saint Michel, insérée en offrande de remerciement de &lsquoW . et H.A. Mitchell de Rosebank&rsquo. 2

Dans son analyse de la "signification" de la chapelle, l'écrivain Tim Wallace-Murphy demande pourquoi deux soldats romains, St Longinus, lui qui tenait la Lance du Destin, et St Maurice, qui a été décapité devant ses troupes pour avoir refusé d'adorer le dieux païens de Rome, faut-il célébrer ici ? Il se demande aussi pourquoi le saint patron de l'Angleterre est également mis à sa place, et fait une comparaison avec la redécoration mystique de l'église Sainte-Marie-Madeleine de Rennes-le-Château, qui a dû avoir lieu à peu près à la même époque. Cela confirme-t-il qu'il existe un lien entre les deux lieux de culte ? Ou est-ce simplement que ce qui y figure aujourd'hui est ce qui était en vogue parmi certaines factions de la chrétienté à l'époque ? Soit vous acceptez que les intérieurs de la chapelle Rosslyn et de Sainte-Marie-Madeleine ont été créés de manière compréhensible par l'imagination inventive d'érudits indépendants imprégnés de mythologie chrétienne et païenne classique, soit vous considérez qu'un grand plan directeur transcendantal était à l'œuvre. Quoi qu'il en soit, il fournit une source de fascination sans fin.

Cependant, par la suite, vous vous retrouvez fermement implanté au XXe siècle, les vitraux du baptistère ne datant que de 1954. Ceux-ci commémorent l'oncle du comte actuel décédé en service actif pendant la Seconde Guerre mondiale, et son beau-père décédé des suites de blessures subies au cours de la même conflit. Ils ont été conçus sur le thème des falaises blanches de Douvres et de St Andrew et St George. Un autre est dédié à la grand-mère du 7e comte, la princesse Dmitri, et représente saint François d'Assise entouré d'oiseaux et d'animaux, dont un kangourou. Encore une fois, cela pourrait susciter une certaine curiosité si quelqu'un ne savait pas que sa famille venait de la Nouvelle-Galles du Sud.



"J'appelle architecture musique figée."
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Écrivain, scientifique, théoricien des couleurs et franc-maçon allemand

Dans un cas d'art imitant l'art, un communiqué de presse publié plus tôt cette année (2006) a annoncé que & la musique figée & rdquo avait été trouvée cachée dans l'architecture de la chapelle Rosslyn du 15ème siècle - la même chapelle popularisée à la fin du livre de Dan Brown & rsquos Le "Da Vinci Code. L'architecture déroutante de la chapelle est restée inexpliquée pendant plus de 450 ans jusqu'à ce qu'elle soit déchiffrée par Thomas Mitchell et son fils Stuart Mitchell plus tôt cette année.

L'annonce expliquait qu'un total de 215 "cubes musicaux" dans les piliers et les arches de la chapelle de Rosslyn correspondaient à 13 motifs sonores géométriques uniques, connus sous le nom de figures Chladni ou Cymatics. Ces motifs sont produits lorsqu'une plaque métallique est saupoudrée de sel ou de poudre et vibrée par des fréquences sonores. Documentés pour la première fois par Ernst Chladni en 1787, les motifs peuvent aller de polygones primitifs comme des triangles, des pentagones et des hexagones à de beaux motifs de type Mandela, selon les fréquences utilisées (voir Musique du réseau quantique). Les Mitchell ont découvert que chacun des motifs cubiques correspondait à des tons musicaux spécifiques organisés en groupes verticaux autour des piliers de la chapelle. Utilisant ces tons pour former une mélodie, les hommes ont ensuite composé et mis en scène la première représentation de &ldquothe Rosslyn Motet&rdquo le 18 mai 2007 à l'intérieur de la chapelle.

Pour les aider à décoder les cubes, ils ont trouvé une figure spéciale & ldquostave angel & rdquo sculptée dans un pilier qui tenait un bâton musical et pointait vers les trois tons sur la clé de sol. Ces tons particuliers correspondaient à certains des motifs cubiques.

L'ange désigne B de sa main droite et A et C de sa gauche. Cela a été pris pour indiquer que la musique était dans la tonalité de C majeur, ou relatif A mineur, avec le &ldquoleading tone&rdquo B équilibré symétriquement au centre. À partir de là, chacun des motifs de cube a été comparé à une fréquence particulière à l'aide d'une plaque carrée de Chladni accordée à C. Les hauteurs résultantes ont été ordonnées de bas en haut, de gauche à droite autour des colonnes en commençant par l'ange de la portée pour produire une mélodie envoûtante.

Bien qu'il s'agisse d'une histoire vraiment étonnante, elle soulève la question plus profonde de savoir qui a conçu la chapelle, pourquoi ont-ils caché cette musique dans l'architecture de la chapelle et qu'est-ce que cela signifie ?

Fondée en 1446 par William Sinclair, 1er comte de Caithness de la famille St. Clair, la chapelle de Rosslyn a été construite pour inclure de nombreux symboles maintenant attribués aux Templiers et à la société ésotérique de la franc-maçonnerie. Selon Robert Freke Gould, auteur de l'Histoire de la franc-maçonnerie, &ldquoMaçonnerie est considérée comme le descendant direct, ou comme une survivance des mystères&hellipof Isis et Osiris en Egypte.&rdquo L'architecture déroutante de la chapelle a été conçue par Sir Gilbert Hay, l'un des plus esprits savants et intellectuels du XVe siècle, sous la direction de William Sinclair. On pense que les deux hommes sont des Ebionites juifs/chrétiens liés à l'école des mystères esséniens, un précurseur de la franc-maçonnerie moderne.

Comme cette chapelle le démontre clairement, les modèles de résonance créés par les ondes sonores réfléchies étaient bien compris bien avant les découvertes scientifiques officielles de Chladnië au XVIIIe siècle. En fait, la connaissance de la géométrie du son remonte à l'ancienne sagesse chinoise et égyptienne et a été préservée dans les secrets hermétiques de la franc-maçonnerie. La musique, la résonance harmonique et le symbolisme géométrique font tous partie intégrante des croyances hermétiques sur la structure du cosmos et de toute vie. Hay et Sinclair ont apparemment cherché à préserver ces connaissances dans la chapelle Rosslyn.

En regardant les colonnes, on voit une série de pentagrammes soutenant les anges musicaux. Mais curieusement, les anges remplacent le triangle supérieur manquant dans chaque pentagramme. En se référant à la tradition hermétique, ce triangle manquant est le même triangle &ldquogolden&rdquo symbolique de la résonance. La question est de savoir comment ce triangle particulier, en tant que partie d'un pentagramme, peut-il être considéré comme résonnant et pourquoi était-il si important qu'il soit sculpté dans une chapelle en pierre ?

Un triangle d'or, tiré du pentagramme, a des angles mesurant 36 X 72 X 72 degrés et des côtés proportionnels au nombre d'or (

1.61803). Il existe une différence de 3 degrés entre l'angle supérieur de la pyramide dorée et le 33e degré le plus élevé de la franc-maçonnerie, ce qui représente un rapport de différence de 3:180, ou 0,01666667. Ce rapport peut être représenté plus simplement par le rapport 5:3 d'une sixte majeure juste accordée - l'intervalle le plus agréable et le plus spectralement résonnant en musique. En remplaçant le triangle d'or supérieur du pentagramme par les anges célestes, les concepteurs de la chapelle ont peut-être symbolisé les 3 degrés de résonance séparant l'humanité du «grand architecte». En guise de jeu de mots supplémentaire, les concepteurs ont même remplacé le haut du triangle & rsquoAngle & rdquo par un & ldquoAngel & rdquo musical, qui commencent tous deux par la lettre & ldquoA, & rdquo lui-même dérivé d'un triangle d'or autrefois utilisé pour représenter l'Alpha et l'Oméga.

Nous pouvons maintenant voir comment les anges (ou &ldquoputti») assis sur le pentagramme symbolisaient la géométrie et les rapports numériques de résonance transmis par la théosophie égyptienne. Mais pourquoi une telle connaissance devrait-elle être cachée de cette manière ?

Pour l'Église catholique médiévale, les idées égyptiennes de résonance étaient considérées comme faisant partie d'une croyance panthéiste de Dieu dans la nature et constituaient une menace directe pour la croyance chrétienne de Dieu en dehors de la nature. En conséquence, la géométrie du pentagramme et certains intervalles de résonance ont été considérés comme impropres à l'usage dans l'Église. Cela était particulièrement vrai pour l'intervalle musical de trois tons entiers (six demi-tons) connu sous le nom de triton.

Connu comme Diabolus dans Musica, ou le Diable en musique, le triton est très fortement lié à cette ancienne compréhension de la résonance, partageant ce que nous appellerons pour l'instant, une "relation harmonique inverse" avec une consonne sixte majeure. L'ange de la portée de Rosslyn souligne ce fait en désignant la partie de l'intervalle tritonique connue sous le nom de « ton principal ». En fait, la mélodie dans les cubes met l'accent sur le triton d'une manière qui aurait été inacceptable pour l'Église catholique au XVe siècle.

Interdit par le pape Grégoire IX en 1234, le triton était et est toujours interdit dans la musique catholique. En conséquence, les francs-maçons ont caché leur utilisation de cet intervalle interdit en le codant comme symboles cymatiques dans l'architecture de la chapelle. C'était leur façon de préserver ce qu'ils considéraient comme un savoir égyptien sacré à une époque où l'Europe était hostile à de telles croyances. Mais il y a une autre tournure à cette histoire qui porte le concept de résonance à un niveau encore plus élevé de symbolisme théosophique.

Alors qu'il y a 13 anges correspondant aux 13 modèles de cubes uniques, il y a aussi 8 dragons dont les langues s'enroulent autour de l'"Arbre de Vie" sculpté au bas des piliers. Ensemble, les anges et les dragons représentent symboliquement le rapport de Fibonacci de 13:8 ou 1,625. Cette proportion se trouve être le premier rapport de Fibonacci ascendant ne pas trouvé comme un intervalle de résonance dans la série harmonique. Cela commence la convergence des rapports de Fibonacci restants vers le nombre d'or (

1.61803) trouvé dans le pentagramme et le triangle d'or.

C'est un fait peu connu que les rapports de nombres adjacents dans la série de Fibonacci commençant par 13:8 = 1,625 créent un effet d'amortissement naturel dans l'onde stationnaire d'un ton musical ou d'une autre vibration cohérente. Au fur et à mesure que chaque rapport de Fibonacci ascendant se rapproche du nombre d'or infini, l'effet d'amortissement augmente, annulant ainsi toutes les ondes fractionnaires et ne laissant que le nombre entier d'harmoniques vibrer de manière sympathique. Cet effet d'amortissement est largement utilisé dans la conception d'enceintes de haut-parleurs et de théâtres, généralement estimé à 1,62 X 1,0 X 0,62 pour annuler la réflexion. Les ondes harmoniques ne peuvent tout simplement pas résonner à ou près de la proportion de fréquence infinie du nombre d'or. Le dragon, en tant que serpent mythique détenant des connaissances secrètes dans le monde souterrain, représente cet effet d'amortissement anti-harmonique dans la nature qui est contrebalancé par la résonance symbolique de l'ange.

Cela nous amène à une autre révélation sur Rosslyn Chapel. En examinant les dimensions de la chapelle, la longueur est exactement le double de la largeur tandis que le rapport hauteur-longueur est égal au nombre d'or. De plus, la longueur de la section du chœur prise en proportion de la longueur de la chapelle est un sixième majeur de 5:3. Étant donné qu'une sixte majeure est l'intervalle le plus résonnant possible, le chœur agit comme une chambre à résonance maximale dans la direction horizontale tout en amortissant les ondes stationnaires réfléchies dans la direction verticale. Ainsi, les concepteurs de la chapelle ont conçu une chambre parfaitement atténuée qui amplifie la voix et la musique tout en minimisant les échos. Peut-être était-ce aussi conçu comme un symbole acoustique qui pourrait « haw » la musique figée dans l'architecture.

L'architecture de la chapelle Rosslyn mélange le symbolisme mythologique de l'alpha-oméga ou du bien contre le mal dans un équilibre musical de résonance harmonique et d'amortissement anti-harmonique. Le symbole secret de l'amortissement harmonique se trouve aujourd'hui dans le surnom "ldquo007" pris par Ian Fleming à John Dee, un agent secret original du XVIe siècle de la reine Elizabeth I, autoproclamé "alchimiste angélique" et mathématicien hermétique très familier avec les proportions harmoniques. Nous le trouvons également dans le symbole négatif persistant de la résonance - le Christian &ldquomark of the Beast&rdquo 666.

Mais les concepteurs de la chapelle suggèrent une interprétation plus équilibrée de ce symbolisme. Les 215 cubes musicaux de la chapelle totalisent un moins que 216, l'ancien nombre hébreu pour Dieu. On dit que trouver le code manquant pour ce nombre - six cubes ou 6*6*6 - déclenchera l'âge messianique de la paix. Avec cela, tout dans Rosslyn Chapel semble destiné à remplacer les symbolismes malavisés du mal par la vérité et l'espoir.

Les forces opposées de résonance et d'amortissement sont partout dans la nature : l'espacement des électrons dans un atome, les orbites interplanétaires moyennes, les schémas de ramification chez les plantes et l'espacement des articulations chez les animaux qui permettent un mouvement articulé. Sans cette dualité, rien ne pourrait vibrer, bouger ou même vivre. Transmis d'Egypte et d'Orient, refoulés sous terre dans les confréries ésotériques, ces principes harmoniques fondamentaux sont la définition même du sacré. Quoi de plus approprié pour un espace de temple sacré que l'harmonie de la nature ?


La partition musicale de la chapelle Rosslyn « décodée »

Les sculptures de la chapelle Rosslyn, vieille de 600 ans, en Écosse, représentent une forme codée d'une partition musicale, selon l'équipe père-fils de Tommy J. Mitchell, 75 ans et Stuart Mitchell, 41 ans.

"[La] chapelle Rosslyn détient un mystère musical dans son architecture et sa conception. À une extrémité de la chapelle, au plafond se trouvent 4 sections transversales d'arcs contenant des motifs symboliques élaborés sur chaque rangée de cubes (en fait, ce sont des rectangles pour la plupart ). Les 'cubes' sont attachés aux arches d'une manière musicalement séquentielle. Et pour le confirmer, aux extrémités de chaque arche, il y a un ange jouant d'un instrument de musique d'un genre différent. Après 27 ans d'études et de recherches par [ Le père de Stuart, Thomas J. Mitchell], nous pensons qu'il a trouvé les hauteurs et la tonalité qui correspondent aux symboles sur chaque cube, révélant ses progressions mélodiques et harmoniques », a déclaré T. Mitchell dans un communiqué publié sur son site Web.

La partition musicale est « figée » dans la chapelle depuis 600 ans. À l'intérieur de la chapelle, il y a 13 anges que T. Mitchell appelle "l'orchestre des anges", qui sont sculptés dans les arches de la chapelle et qui semblent être des musiciens.

Autour des anges se trouvent 213 symboles géométriques qui ressemblent à des ondes sonores à différentes hauteurs. Après avoir décodé tous les symboles pour correspondre aux ondes sonores, ils ont trouvé la chanson qui, selon les chercheurs, fait partie du système musical "cymatique", également connu sous le nom de "modèles de Chladni", qui est l'étude des phénomènes ondulatoires associés aux modèles physiques produits par le interaction des ondes sonores dans un milieu.

« C'est ce que nous pourrions appeler de la « musique figée », un peu comme la cryogénie. et la perception musicale », a déclaré T. Mitchell.

Mitchell décrit la chanson comme sonnant comme une mélodie celtique ou une comptine.

"La combinaison inhabituelle d'instruments, leur dynamique, leurs accordages et leurs textures recréent un son longtemps oublié du passé. Les mélodies sont simples mais se développent et se déroulent harmoniquement de la manière la plus simpliste mais charmante. L'arrangement séquentiel des cubes à plusieurs reprises est une série de notes/symboles répétés signifiant un sens plus fonctionnel qu'esthétique de la musique. Parfois, cela ressemble un peu à une « comptine » et il y a aussi un sentiment d'« air celtique » à propos de la musique », a ajouté la déclaration de Mitchell .

Les Mitchells ont ajouté des paroles d'un hymne contemporain à la musique et ont nommé la composition Le motet de Rosslyn, qui est interprété par le Tallis Chamber Choir et produit par Stuart Mitchell.

Il est actuellement disponible sur CD et s'ouvre dans un concert de première mondiale le 18 mai qui sera joué à l'intérieur de la chapelle Rosslyn.

La chapelle a vu une augmentation du nombre de visiteurs, de touristes et de chercheurs depuis qu'elle a été présentée dans le livre et le film Le "Da Vinci Code.


Rosslyn Mitchell - Histoire


Les cubes et le pilier de l'apprenti




Colonne en spirale - Symbologie de l'ADN - Conscience

La chapelle de Rosslyn, ou la chapelle collégiale de St Mathew, a été fondée en 1446 par Sir Guillaume St Clair , troisième et dernier St Clair Prince des Orcades.

Il ne s'agit en fait que d'une partie du chœur de ce qui devait être un édifice cruciforme plus grand avec une tour en son centre.

Plus de trente-sept collégiales ont été construites en Écosse entre les règnes de Jacques Ier et Jacques IV (1406-1513). Il s'agissait de fondations séculaires destinées à diffuser les connaissances intellectuelles et spirituelles, et l'extravagance de leur construction dépendait de la richesse de leur fondateur.

Après la mort de Sir William en 1484, il a été enterré dans la chapelle inachevée et le bâtiment plus grand qu'il avait prévu n'a jamais été achevé. Mais les fondations de la nef auraient été fouillées au XIXe siècle et s'étendaient à 91 mètres au-delà de la porte ouest d'origine de la chapelle, sous le baptistère et le cimetière existants.

Ce qui a été construit cependant est assez extraordinaire,

"Ce bâtiment, je crois, peut être prononcé unique, et je suis convaincu qu'il sera trouvé curieux, élaboré et singulièrement intéressant, impossible à désigner par un terme donné ou familier" a écrit Britton sur ses Antiquités architecturales de Grande-Bretagne (1812), ajoutant quelque peu désespérée que sa « variété et son excentricité ne doivent être définies par aucun mot d'acception commune ».

L'autorité principale sur l'histoire de la Chapelle et de la famille St Clair est le Père Richard Augustine Hay, chanoine de Ste Geneviève à Paris et Prieur de St Piermont.

Il a examiné les documents historiques et les chartes des St Clairs et a terminé une étude en trois volumes en 1700, dont certaines parties ont été publiées en 1835 sous le titre Une généologie des Sainteclaire de Rosslyn.

Ses recherches étaient opportunes, puisque les documents originaux ont par la suite disparu.

Du fondateur, le Père Hay a dit ceci :

Le prince William, son âge rampant sur lui, en est venu à considérer comment il avait passé son temps passé et comment il allait passer ses jours restants.

Par conséquent, à la fin, afin qu'il ne semble pas tout à fait ingrat à Dieu pour les bénéfices qu'il a reçus de lui, il lui vint à l'esprit de construire une maison pour le service de Dieu, du travail le plus curieux, afin qu'il puisse être fait avec une plus grande gloire et splendeur, il fit venir des artisans d'autres régions et royaumes étrangers et fit affluer quotidiennement toutes sortes d'ouvriers présents comme maçons, charpentiers, forgerons, brouettes et carriers. le fondement de ce travail qu'il a fait poser l'année de notre Seigneur 1446, et à la fin, le travail pourrait être plus rare, d'abord il a fait dessiner des ébauches (plans) sur des planches de l'Eastland [bois baltique importé], et il les fit tailler par les charpentiers d'après les ébauches dessus et il les donna pour modèles aux maçons, afin qu'ils puissent tailler les mêmes dans la pierre et parce qu'il pensait que les maçons n'avaient pas d'endroit convenable pour se loger. ville de Rolsine qui existe aujourd'hui et a donné à chacun une maison et des terres.

Il récompensait les maçons selon leur diplôme, quant au maître maçon, il donnait près de 40 livres par an, et à tous les autres, 10 livres.

Fils de Sir William et successeur de la baronnie de Rosslyn, Sir Olivier Saint-Clair, a couvert le chœur avec sa voûte en pierre mais n'a rien fait de plus pour accomplir la conception originale de son père.

The Chapel was generously endowed by the founder, with provision for a provost, six prebendaries and two choristers, and in 1523 by his grandson, also Sir William, with land for dwelling houses and gardens.

On February 26, 1571, however, just forty-eight years after his last endowment, there is a record of the provost and prebendaries resigning because of the endowments being taken by 'force and violence' into secular hands as the effects of the Reformation took hold.

The Presbytery records of Dalkeith reveal that in 1589 William Knox, brother of John Knox and minister of Cockpen, was censured,

'for baptizing the Laird of Rosling's bairne' in Rosslyn Chapel, which was described as a 'house and monument of idolatrie, and not ane place appointit for teiching the word and ministratioun of ye sacrementis'.

The following year, the Presbytery forbade Mr George Ramsay, minister of Lasswade, from burying the wife of a later Oliver St Clair in the Chapel.

The St Clairs had not yet succumbed to the Reformation and remained Roman Catholics.

This Oliver St Clair was repeatedly warned to destroy the altars in the Chapel and in1592 was summoned to appear before the General Assembly and threatened with excommunication if the altars remained standing after August 17 th , 1592.

On August 31st, the same George Ramsay reported that 'the altars of Roslene were haille demolishit'. From that time the Chapel ceased to be used as a house of prayer and soon fell into disrepair.

In 1650, during the Civil War, Cromwell's troops under General Monk attacked the castle and his horses were stabled in the Chapel.

On December 11 th , 1688, shortly after the protestant William of Orange had landed in England and displaced the Catholic James II, a mob from Edinburgh and some of the villagers from Roslin entered and damaged the Chapel. Their object was to destroy the furniture and vestments, which were now regarded as Popish and idolatrous.

The Chapel remained abandoned until 1736, when St James St Clair glazed the windows for the first time, repaired the roof, and re-laid the floor with flagstones. The boundary wall was also built at this time.

When Dorothy Wordsworth visited the Chapel on September 17 th , 1807, she remarked:

'Went to view the inside of the Chapel of Roslyn, which is kept locked up, and so preserved from the injuries it might otherwise receive from idle boys, but as nothing is done to keep it together, it must, in the end, fall. The architecture within is exquisitely beautiful.'

Further repairs to the Chapel were undertaken at the beginning of the nineteenth century and in 1861 it was agreed by James Alexander, 3 rd Earl of Rosslyn, that Sunday services should begin again.

He instructed the Edinburgh architect David Bryce to carry out restoration work. The carvings in the Lady Chapel were attended to, stones were relaid in the crypt and an altar established there.

The Chapel was rededicated on Tuesday April 22 nd , 1862, by the Bishop of Edinburgh and the Bishop of Brechin preached from the text,

'Our Lord, I have loved the habitation of thy house, and the place where thine honour dwelleth'.

The Reverend R. Cole, then resident military chaplain at Greenlaw Barracks near Penicuick, became private chaplain to the Earl.

Lady Helen Wedderburn, daughter of the 7 th Earl of Airlie, who lived nearby at Rosebank, organized a subscription from which some of the interior fittings were provided.

In 1880-1, Francis Robert, 4 th Earl of Rosslyn, added the apse to serve as a baptistery with an organ loft above. The work is by Andrew Kerr. The Earl also filled the baptistery arch with the handsome oak tracery which you see today, decorated with his crest. Together with the two Chapel doors, this is the only wood used in the construction of the building.

The cost of the work was seven hundred and fifty eight pounds, eight shillings and six pennies, with a further thirty four pounds and eighteen shillings to Andrew Kerr for fees.

Kerr told the Earl that a party of visitors,

'had remarked that it was wonderful that such young men should be entrusted to execute such carving,' to which the estate factor 'very coolly replied, that it was not wonderful here, as the finest pillar in the Chapel was the work of an apprentice boy.'

The Earl was happy with the work and in a letter to Kerr on November 16 th , wrote:

'I must say that the author pronounces your building a complete success.'

In 1915, a report on the fabric by Sir Robert Lorimer observed:

'The stone work of the Chapel is in fairly good order and requires very little done to it. a few of the stones are crumbling but not to the extent to cause any alarm. The condition of the roof is not satisfactory. and there are a number of gaps and cracks all over.'

He recommended that the exterior of the roof be covered with asphalt and this was carried out.

In 1942 the Chapel was almost closed for a second time when a government official called Robertson wrote to the Minister of Labour, Ernest Bevin MP,

'that the Episcopalian Church at Roslin was almost empty every Sunday. on a recent Sunday there was a congregation of only two, and apart from the Clergyman's labour there must be other workers employed in cleaning and looking after the church and I suggest that steps are taken to close it down.'

A copy of the letter was sent to Gwilym Lloyd George MP, the Minister of Fuel, who in turn wrote to the Secretary of State for Scotland in the following terms

'I enclose a copy of a letter from David Robertson which causes me considerable embarrassment, who am I, a Welshman, that I should do anything that might imperil the eternal salvation of one Scottish Episcopalian. In any case, from the fuel point of view, I doubt whether I would be justified in securing a small economy of fuel in this world at the possible cost of a disproportionate expenditure of it on myself in the next.'

Further work was carried out by Anthony 6 th Earl of Rosslyn, in the 1950's when the crypt roof was repaired and the interior carvings cleaned by hand over a period of several years. He also added the stained glass windows in the baptistery.

A report of May 1954 from the Ancient Monuments Branch of the Ministry of Works records that,

'surfaces covered with green algae will be scrubbed down with stiff bristle brushes. using a solution of .880 ammonia and water. Water will then be used copiously until the surfaces are clean and free from dirt and vegetation.

Flaky patches will be sealed off. Hollow areas in ornament will receive special treatment by grouting. and when the surfaces are thoroughly dry they will be hardened with silica fluoride of magnesium at a rate of 1lb per two gallons of water.'

This work was in accordance with the thinking of the time but not, unfortunately, with current conservation philosophy.

The effect of the magnesium fluoride - a cementitious slurry - was to seal the internal surface of the masonry with an impermeable coating, so that the stone became saturated with water containing soluble pollutants. In addition, the coldness of the wet stone encouraged condensation.

A report in 1995 confirmed that damage was occurring and that humidity in the Chapel was very high. It recommended that steps should be taken to dry out the saturated masonry, remove if possible the cementitious coating, and restore the permeability of the richly carved inner surfaces of the Chapel.

In March 1997, a free-standing steel structure was erected to cover the Chapel. It will enable the stone fabric of the roof vaults to dry outwards, away from the carved interior surfaces. In due course the bituminous felt, asphalt and concrete coverings of the stone roof vaults will be removed to assist this process.

Stone and mortar repairs to the external walls, pinnacles, and buttresses, renewal of the rainwater disposal arrangements, repairs to the stained glass, and appropriate repair and conservation of the interior are all required.

The coverings over the stone vaulted roofs will be renewed in lead and ways of removing the cementitious slurry are being investigated, in order that this magnificent building can be preserved for future generations to use and admire.

The year 2000 saw the Trust embark on a second phase of work.

Funded jointly by The National Heritage Lottery Fund, The Eastern Scotland European Partnership, Historic Scotland and the Rosslyn Chapel Trust, this phase has a number of elements. Essential stabilization works to the east boundary walls will protect the Chapel.

A new roof of Caithness slate has been placed over the existing Crypt roof, and the Priest's Cell and two more modern buildings beside the Crypt have been made functional. The stairs to the Crypt have been repaired and the access to the Crypt is now both safer and more of an experience.

Work has also been carried out to improve the electrical services in the Chapel, repairs to the wooden screen at the west end, and our interpretation of Rosslyn's story.

Rosslyn Chapel, originally named the Collegiate Chapel of St. Matthew, is a 15 th Century church in the village of Roslin, Midlothian, Scotland.

The chapel was designed by William Sinclair of the St. Clair family, a Scottish noble family descended from Norman knights and, according to legend, linked to the Knights Templar. Construction of the chapel began in 1440, and the chapel was officially founded in 1446. Construction lasted for forty years.

Some authors have theorized that the Chapel's west wall is actually a model of the Wailing Wall in Jerusalem and is part of the structure by design, rather than proof of another intended stage of building, which would have made the site about the size of a Cathedral.

The chapel has long been famous for its possible connections to Freemasonry and its attendant rituals.

This was first publicized by Knight and Lomas, but it is also found in works by Michael Baigent et Leigh et Tim Wallace Murphy (circa 1990), and the connections entered mainstream consciousness when named in the novel The Da Vinci Code for its (possible) links to the Holy Grail.

Despite the fictitious nature of this work, its influence has been considerable.

The Scottish NGO The Friends of Rosslyn, which own the land surrounding the Chapel and the Rosslyn Chapel Trust which administers the Chapel, have both published a number of books and literature on the Chapel.

Certainly the Chapel is used by the modern Knights Templar (a masonic group rather than descendants of the military religious order) for 'investiture' ceremonies, and because of its connection to one of the more famous freemasons ( William Sinclair ) and also due to the Masonic architecture and symbolism featured on the Chapel walls, many Freemasons from all over the world visit it. Certain points in its architecture are quite indicative of a Masonic, and Templar, connection.

In addition to the theory that the Chapel was used by Freemasons and Knights Templar is the claim that those groups, stationed at Rosslyn Chapel, journeyed to North America and back before Columbus.

This claim is based on several points:

  1. some of what appear to be the oldest graveyards in Nova Scotia (which means New Scotland) have Masonic symbols and Crusader crosses on them

  2. the Westford Knight is a rock engraving in Massachusetts supposedly showing a Scottish knight, linked to the Henry Sinclair party, with the Clan Gunn markings

  3. most importantly, Rosslyn Chapel, although completed six years before Columbus' voyage, allegedly has stone carvings in it of plants unique to the Western hemisphere

Because of its rumored connections with Freemasonry, the chapel has inevitably become listed as one of the possible final resting places of The Holy Grail.

This is a possibility based on legends of 'Secret Vaults' and the possibility that the similarities between Rosslyn and the Temple of Jerusalem might be more than cosmetic.

Les White Lady of Rosslyn Castle is said to hide a secret worth 'millions of pounds' - and some have suggested that this could be The Grail or instructions on how to find it.

St Clair legend suggests that there are three big medieval chests (probably the size of steamer trunks) buried somewhere on the property, and this has inevitably led to various theories as to the chests' contents. Past scanning and excavations in or near the Chapel have not yielded any such chests.

Sealed chambers under the basement of the chapel, however, have yet to be excavated for fear of collapse of the entire structure.

These chambers are filled with pure white Arabic sand - rumored to have been brought to the chapel by the Knights Templar from the Dome of the Rock - and ultrasonic scans have revealed six leaden vaults within the sand.

It should be noted that it is only the Ruined Wall that is based on the Temple of Jerusalem - the chapel itself most closely resembles the East Quire of Glasgow Cathedral.

The Chapel is famous for its two pillars:

  • the Apprentice Pillar

  • the Master Pillar which,

. though next to each other, are carved differently.

Masonic Architects believe these structures could signify the pillars of Boaz and Jachin.

Most interestingly are the (pictorial) references to the Key of Hiram, a significant piece of Masonic legend in the wall carvings, and in depictions of the New World, purportedly showing maize and aloe vera plants about a century before the discovery of North America, suggesting pre-Columbus travel there (the La Merika theory).

Also many archaeoastronomers believe that the walls are carved with azimuths, that give co-ordinates for sites in Iceland (where the St. Clairs supposedly originated) and across Britain.

In September 2007 a musical cipher hidden in mystical symbols carved into the stone ceiling of Rosslyn Chapel was reported as being unraveled by Scottish composer Stuart Mitchell.

His feat was hailed by experts as a stroke of genius.

The codes were hidden in 213 cubes in the ceiling of the chapel, where parts of the film of Dan Brown's best-seller The Da Vinci Code were shot. Each cube contained different patterns to form an unusual 6 minute piece of music for 13 medieval players.

The unusual sound is thought to have been of great spiritual significance to those who built the chapel. The melody was unraveled after Mr Mitchell discovered the stones at the bottom of each of 12 pillars inside the chapel formed a cadence (three chords at the end of a piece of music) of which there were only three types in the 15 th century.

Mr. Mitchell said the music sounded like a nursery rhyme.

"Everyone wants to hear something miraculous but William Sinclair, who designed the chapel, was an architect, not a musician," he said.

"It is evident from the nursery rhyme style of the music that he could not play very well. It is in triple time, sounds childlike and is based on plain chant which was the common form of rhythm of the time."

The strange combination of instruments in the piece includes bagpipes, whistles, trumpet, a medieval mouth piano, guitar and singers.

The Rosslyn Stave Angel - Music Cipher

In 2007, Stuart's CD and book, "The Rosslyn Motet", were complete and hit the world by storm as researchers hope to unlock ancient secrets through music:

Stuart Mitchell discovered a series of figures which he calls an "orchestra of angels" at the base of elaborate arches round the altar, with each angel holding a musical instrument. He worked with his father, Thomas, to decipher the patterns on cubes which jut out from the arches.

Exclusive Da Vinci Chorus

Father and son team discover the Holy Grail of music hidden away for 600 years on the columns of Rosslyn Chapel.

A father and son code breaking team have discovered music's Holy Grail - hidden in intricate carvings at Rosslyn Chapel for almost 600 years. Music teacher Thomas Mitchell, 75, strived for 27 years before he and pianist son Stuart, 41, deciphered symbols in the chapel which featured in The Da Vinci Code book and film.

The pair will reveal the secret songs in a special concert at the Midlothian chapel next month.

Thomas, of Edinburgh, said:

"The music is the result of years of painstaking research, recreating secret notes hidden for almost 600 years in carvings on the arches within the chapel itself.

"We believe this is the Holy Grail of music and, unlike the Da Vinci Code, it is absolutely factual."

Thomas was intrigued by the sculpted angels and hundreds of intricately carved cubes in the arches of the Lady Chapel.

Using skills learned as an RAF code-breaker during the Korean War and his lifetime knowledge of classical music, he finally realized they depicted the vibrations of musical notes.

"It was a Eureka moment to end all Eureka moments.

"Many angels were carrying musical instruments and some were even grouped as if they were a choir.

"But one angel gave me the biggest problem. He was carrying something and at first I thought it was musical instrument which had been lost in the mists of time.

"It was only when I realized that he was carrying a musical stave, the blueprint for all musical composition, that I knew I was looking at a secretly coded piece of music.

"By recreating the patterns on each of the carved cubes, with Stuart's help, we unlocked the notes to find a haunting piece of music had been hidden in the arches for centuries.

"For the choral sections, we've used the words from the hymns to St John the Baptist taken from Matthew in the Old Testament which is fitting because the chapel itself is dedicated to St Matthew."

Stuart, a classical composer and pianist, used computers to decipher the carvings' secret music. He has named the medieval music the Rosslyn Motet.

"I also used authentic mediaeval instruments to recreate the music exactly and it truly is a masterpiece.

"While the Da Vinci Code was full of red herrings to make it a thrilling work of fiction, the Rosslyn Motet music is a tangible work people can listen to. For centuries, scholars have been convinced Rosslyn holds the key to many different areas of knowledge.

"We think we've cracked one particularly fascinating code, although we're convinced Rosslyn holds many, many more."

Four singers will join eight musicians playing mediaeval instruments to perform the Rosslyn Motet at Rosslyn on May 18.

Simon Beattie, of the Rosslyn Chapel Trust, said:

"We're looking forward to the event as this is a such an exciting and intriguing piece of work. The music is particularly haunting and we cannot help feel this is yet another of the many puzzles that make Rosslyn such an astonishing place."

Rosslyn Chapel was built by Sir William Sinclair and Sir Gilbert Haye in the 15 th century.

Steeped in the history of the Knights Templar and Freemasonry , Roslyn's mysteries are famous worldwide. Among the theories surrounding Rosslyn is that it is the secret resting place of the Holy Grail, the Ark of the Covenant and even the mummified head of Christ.

  1. Carved angels and blocks above their head in arches of chapel baffled Thomas until he realized this one was holding a musical stave - and that the blocks signified notes.

  2. Using this specially enhanced photo, Thomas and Stuart worked out that the carvings above the angel represent A, B and C.

  3. Thomas and Stuart used this metal plate to recreate the ancient method of making notes. The plate is vibrated and sand poured on until it forms a particular pattern - indicating the correct pitch. The patterns match those carved into the arches of Rosslyn Chapel.

Rosslyn Chapel holds many secrets. For hundreds of years experts and visitors alike have puzzled over the carvings in the chapel. Whilst some debate whether they point to hidden treasure, Edinburgh composer Stuart Mitchell thinks he has cracked one part of the enigma.

He believes that the ornate ceiling of carved arches, featuring 213 decorated cubes holds a code for medieval music.

His father Thomas Mitchell spent 20 years cracking this code in the ceiling and now Stuart is orchestrating the findings for a new recording called The Rosslyn Motet:

They hope that the music, when played on medieval instruments in situ, will resonate throughout the chapel unlocking a secret in the stone.

The breakthrough to interpreting the notation came when Mitchell's father discovered that the markings carved on the face of the cubes seem to match a phenomenon called Cymatics or Chladni patterns.

Chladni patterns form when a sustained note is used to vibrate a sheet of metal covered in powder producing marks. The frequency used dictates the shape of the pattern, for example the musical note A below middle C vibrates at 440 KHz and produces a shape that looks like a rhombus.

Different notes can produce various shapes including flowers, diamonds and hexagons - shapes all present on the Rosslyn cubes.

Stuart Mitchell believes this is "beyond coincidence" and has assigned a note to each cube. Ernst Chladni first documented the phenomenon in the late 18 th century - yet it appears to be present in a 15 th century building.

Which begs the question:

"Was Sir William St Clair (the man who built Rosslyn Chapel) familiar with sciences far in advance of his time?".

Stuart Mitchell believes a link between the Knights Templar � who may have gleaned advanced Eastern scientific knowledge during their stay in Jerusalem during the Crusades � and Rosslyn could explain the encoded musical notes.

"The symbolism in Rosslyn is reaching back to times of a civilization that is lost to us now that had sciences that are the roots of all the mechanics of the universe," says Mitchell.

If this science was used in the carvings at Rosslyn, then there needs to be an explanation of how this information came to be lost for centuries.

According to Mitchell, the Church suppressed the knowledge as a means of controlling the public.

"What it points towards is the church system denying people certain knowledge because knowledge is awareness. People who knew too much were burnt as witches."

According to Mitchell this is a Chladni pattern -
a way of showing a musical note by way of its vibrations.

Interestingly the Devil's Chord - diabolus in musica - makes an appearance in the music.

"In the ceiling is this jump of an augmented fourth, in fact it opens up with an augmented fourth," says Mitchell.

The Catholic Church had banned this interval (seven semitones) from medieval music as it was believed to be disturbing and therefore diabolical. Perhaps St Clair was indeed challenging the authority of the church.

The music itself, according to Mitchell is a mix,

"of Celtic melodies and secular worship crossed with a kind of Christian worship" but not Catholic he says.

Perhaps this explains why carvings depicting the green man , essentially a pagan image, exist alongside carvings of Christ in the chapel.

"[Orkney] and the Shetlands had a very big druid, pagan community and they had their own culture of music," says Mitchell.

"William St Clair was the last Earl of Orkney and some of the melodies in the ceiling of Rosslyn Chapel are Orkney/Shetland Airs."

Mitchell doesn't believe that the notes were carved there simply to record a piece of music. He hopes that the repeated frequencies in the music will resonate within the building and unlock a medieval secret."

Hopefully, knowing masons of this period of time were aware of the acoustic properties and the effect of resonance upon stone, we're hoping something falls loose it's like a safe. This is why we think he [St Clair] has gone to so much trouble."

Mitchell has no idea what may be hidden in the church, but believes that St Clair used advanced science to ensure that the music was hidden from prying eyes.

Mitchell, dubbing the project "The Voice of Creation", says the carvings on the cubes are ultimately about sacred geometry .

"What it's saying is we've forgotten more than we know. Perhaps the music is indeed a key to the past, the physics of the universe and just maybe, played loud enough inside Rosslyn, it will unlock a long lost secret hidden in the masonry.

Stuart and I discussed the 213 cubes on the ceiling and the Apprentice Pillar, at the top of which we find the stave angels, and at the bottom an Ouroboros which takes us to 2012 and coming full circle into the light.

Basically my father and I calculated the frequencies of the 3 notes that the stave angel is pointing out and it amounts to this:

At (ancient tunings)

Gilbert Hay (fl.1432-1456) or Sir Gilbert the Haye, Scottish poet and translator, was perhaps a kinsman of the house of Errol.

If he is the student named in the registers of the university of St Andrews in 1418-1419, his birth may be fixed about 1403. He was in France in 1432, perhaps some years earlier, for a "Gilbert de la Haye" is mentioned as present at Reims, in July 1430, at the coronation of Charles VII.

He has left it on record, in the Prologue to his Buke of the Law of Arrays, that he was,

"chaumerlayn umquhyle to the maist worthy King Charles of France."

In 1456 he was back in Scotland, in the service of the chancellor, William, Earl of Orkney and Caithness, "in his castell of Roselyn," south of Edinburgh. The date of his death is unknown.

Hay is named by Dunbar in his Lament for the Makaris, and by Sir David Lyndsay in his Testament and Complaynt of the Papyngo. His only political work is The Buik of Alexander the Conquerour, of which a portion, in copy, remains at Taymouth Castle.

He has left three translations, extant in one volume (in old binding) in the collection of Abbotsford:

  • The Buke of the Law of Arms or the Buke of Bataillis, a translation of Honore Bonet's Arbre des batailles

  • The Buke of the Order of Iinichthood from the Livre de l'ordre de chevalerie

  • The Buke of tile Governaunce of Princes, from a French version of the pseudo-Aristotelian Secrela secrelorum

The second of these precedes Caxton's independent translation by at least ten years.

For the Bulk of Alexander see Albert Herrmann's The Taymouth Castle Manuscript of Sir Gilbert hays Buik, etc. (Berlin, 1898). The complete Abbotsford Manuscript has been reprinted by the Scottish Text Society (d. JH Stevenson). The first volume, containing The Buke of the Law of Arms, appeared in 1901. The Order of Knighthood was printed by David Laing for the Abbotsford Club (1847).

See also SFS edition Introduction and Gregory Smith's Specimens of Middle Scots, in which annotated extracts are given from the Abbotsford Manuscript , the oldest known example of literary Scots prose.

A = 440
B = 493
C = 523
---------------
1456 (the year Sir Gilbert Haye Died)

The serpents round the bottom of The Apprentice Pillar looks Chinese to me, which might also explain a lot about Gilbert Hay 's trip to China and his interest in vibrational harmonics. A serpent swallowing its tail, sounds like the Rings of Saturn.


About the Cubes
There were originally 215. Two of them have been broken off and lost in the past 500 years with no apparent explanation of why or how from Rosslyn.

215 does not make a significant number but 216 would. 216 as you know Ellie is a cosmologically important number. We know that Earth's polar circumference is 21,600 nautical miles, or 'minutes of latitude' arc. It is also interesting that "our" math conventions use 21,600 arc-minutes as the circumference of 'any' circle or sphere.

One of the most ancient and most celebrated sacred places of our planet is the temple of Lord Shiva Nataraja in the South Indian City of Chidambaram. Here Lord Shiva dances his dance of creation and dissolution. The Dance of Cosmos. The hereditary priesthood which have been the guardians of the Lord and his temple since the time of its origins follow the Vedic pattern of ritual worship.

The sanctum in which the Lord is performing his Cosmic Dance is called the Cit Sabha , the Hall of Consciousness.

It is a wooden structure, which differs in its shape form all other sanctums found in Indian temples. And its corbelled shaped roof has been covered with golden tiles from the time of its consecration. It consists of 21600 tiles, representing the human breaths, and these are held together by 720,00 nails, representing the Nadis of the human energy body.

My suggestion is that there should be 216 cubes/rectangles on the ceiling of Rosslyn (counting the 2 that are missing) because putting all the cubes together into one BIG cube would give us 216. Also a pattern will emerge when the correct sequence of smaller patterns are merged together. The final note of the music maybe?!

216 is also 6x6x6 and many other connotations.

When he caught sight of the bright red pentagon glowing above the great rose window of Rosslyn Chapel.

By rediscovering the light box, forgotten for hundreds of years, Butler and John Ritchie, co-author of Rosslyn Revealed, moved closer to illuminating their theory that the truth about the chapel is even stranger than the fiction made world-famous by Dan Brown.

Just when you think there can't be anything left to dig up when it comes to secret codes and Rosslyn Chapel, another layer is unearthed.

The latest mystery involving a carving scratched on the wall of the crypt - doesn't involve the Knights Templar, the bloodline of Christ or any ancient secret societies.

But for Ashley Cowie - who has spent the best part of a decade trying to work out its meaning - the carving has huge global significance for Scotland when it comes to the history of ancient navigation.

"What is down there is an example of a lost system for measuring time and distance involving both latitude and longitude. It's a priceless mapping treasure."

This navigational teaching board - if that's what it is - forms the basis of Cowie's new book, The Rosslyn Matrix , which presents his case for Rosslyn Chapel having a cartographic explanation.

At first glance, the mysterious carving looks a bit like a miniature electricity pylon with a latticed construction of uprights and grids. At the top is the outline of a misshapen cup which has a five-pointed star on one of the sides.

Inside the cup shape, stacked on top of each other, are four diamond-shaped lozenges of different lengths and widths.

Great stonemasons settled next to the wooded glen to construct the library in stone, a building alive with symbolism and bursting with imagery.


The Legends of Rosslyn

Rosslyn Chapel is a place wreathed in legend and most of the legends are associated with the Knights Templar. The Templars were a crusading order, a band of warrior monks who were pledged to protect Christian pilgrims travelling to the Middle East. Their cause was a popular one. Wealthy people often left money or land to the Templars in their wills and, over time, the order became immensely rich so rich in fact that even kings began to resent and fear the Templars. The French king, Philip IV, who had de facto control of the Papacy, in 1312, persuaded his puppet on the papal throne to issue an edict accusing the Templars of practising black magic, dissolving the order and confiscating its wealth.

According to legend, the Templars then fled to Scotland and took up residence there. Why Scotland? Well, Scotland’s King Robert the Bruce had once murdered one of his rivals in a church and, as a consequence, had been excommunicated. Scotland was therefore one of the few places in Europe where the writ of the Papacy did not run. The founder of the Templar order, Hugo de Payns, had also been married to Catherine de St Clair of Roslin so the order had historical connections to Scotland. According to the legend, the Templars then put down roots in their new country.

Having accumulated a vast store of occult knowledge in the East where they had been exposed to a variety of mystical traditions, they chose to embody it in the carvings of Rosslyn Chapel when construction began on it in 1446, perhaps even burying their fabled treasure within its vaults – which some say included the Holy Grail itself. Rumours of mysterious artefacts, either contained within secret vaults beneath the chapel, or embedded within the Apprentice Pillar, one of the most ornate pillars in the building, have circulated for a long time. These hidden treasures have been said to include the Holy Grail, the mummified head of Jesus, and documents from the early period of the Christian faith.

A descendant of the St. Clair family was the first Grand Master of the Order of Freemasons in Scotland. This has given rise to the belief that Freemasonry had its roots in Templar tradition.


600-Year-Old Music Found Encoded in Chapel Walls

Reuters reports that father-and-son team Thomas and Stuart Mitchell have unlocked a coded music system present in decorations of the Rosslyn Chapel. (Rosslyn may be familiar to readers as the fifteenth-century Scottish chapel featured at the end of The Da Vinci Code.)

The chapel contains 213 carved blocks showing thirteen geometric patterns. In addition to these blocks, there are carved angels playing musical instruments, including one who is pointing to certain notes on a musical staff.

So here's the crazy math part -- Thomas Mitchell discovered that the thirteen geometric patterns carved on the blocks were cymatics (also known as Chladni patterns). Cymatics are generated by amplifying a musical tone onto a resonant surface (similar to a drum head) which is covered by grains of sand, or a similar medium. At certain frequencies, the sand forms intricate geometric patterns. These patterns are similar to what was carved into the chapel walls (judge for yourself from the video below. the matching is a bit tenuous to my eye). The Mitchells call their composition, based on the carvings (plus traditional lyrics translated into Latin), The Rosslyn Motet. It will debut on May 18, 2007 in a performance at the chapel.

Here's a video produced by the Mitchells showing some of their work (note that the music in the background is part of the Rosslyn Motet):


Musical Pattern Mysteries of Rosslyn Chapel

Ernst Chladni originally documented the appearance of musical patterns in 1787 by vibrating a fine powder on a metal plate to frequencies of sounds. Since the discovery, these mysterious patterns have been dubbed Cymatics by modern science. The very interesting thing is that Ernst's 18th century discovery appears to be found in the 15th century Rosslyn Chapel. Thomas Mitchell spent 20 years attempting to unlock this ancient mystery, examining 215 blocks presumed to be encoded musical cubes found along the pillars and arches inside Rosslyn Chapel. Each block seems to show a clear understanding of Cymatics well before Chladni's time. Freemasons designed and built the chapel to include symbols of the Knights Templar, believed by some as a preservation of the society's secrets. Geometry of sound dates back to ancient Egyptian and Chinese cultures. It is also a key belief in Freemasonry's structure of life in the cosmos. For inquiring minds alike, these musical cubes are definitely intriguing on multiple levels, and present an entirely new a sense of dimension to Rosslyn Chapel's mysteries.

Apprentice Pillar


Ap. Pillar (Fg. 7-2)

Do these cubes hint at a secret language, or knowledge carved into chapel walls? Along with theories of Rosslyn being an inter-dimensional portal, the musical cubes add to its complexity suggesting it is definitely more than a temple of creative celebratory decoration. Another beautiful artwork found within Rosslyn is the famous Apprentice Pillar. At first glance, a twisting design wrapping around the pillar seems to represent the double helix structure found in DNA molecules. This is the same structure synonymous with most renditions of the Tree of Life found in the artworks of several ancient cultures around the world. Perhaps the musical cubes are able to unlock a secret knowledge of life, or at least part of the missing information mankind has somehow lost to history. Studying Rosslyn may provide us with a deeper insight about mankind through music, and help us to further understand complex artworks of the Knights Templar.


Sports

  • Steve Archibald - footballer
  • Bertie Auld - footballer and manager
  • Tommy Burns - footballer and manager
  • Kenny Dalglish - footballer and manager
  • Tommy Docherty - footballer and manager
  • Ian Durrant - footballer
  • Sir Alex Ferguson - football legend and manager
  • Barry Ferguson - footballer
  • Glasgow Mid Argyll - The 1973 Camanachd winning team - shinty
  • Arthur Graham - footballer - Aberdeen, Leeds United, Manchester United, Bradford City and Scotland.
  • Gerry Hughes - first deaf yachtsman to cross the Atlantic Ocean
  • Gary Jacobs - boxer
  • Mo Johnston - footballer
  • Benny Lynch - Scotland's first boxing champion
  • Stephen Maguire - snooker player
  • Ally MacLeod - football manager
  • Drew McIntyre - WWE champion (studied and trained to wrestle in Glasgow)
  • Danny McGrain - footballer
  • Members of the 1972 UEFA Cup Winners Cup team (Rangers FC): Alex MacDonald and Willie Johnston
  • Members of The Lisbon Lions (Celtic FC) winners of the European Cup, to date the only Scottish team to do so: Ronnie Simpson, Jim Craig, Bobby Murdoch, Stevie Chalmers and Bertie Auld
  • Alex McLeish - Scotland Manager and footballer
  • Philippa York (previously known as Robert Millar) - cyclist
  • Willie Miller - Football player for Aberdeen and Scotland
  • Colin Montgomerie - golfer
  • David Moyes - football manager
  • Andy Murray - Scotland's highest ranked tennis player.
  • Andrew Robertson - footballer, Liverpool and Scotland. UEFA Champions League winner 2019.
  • Alan Rough - goalkeeper, Partick Thistle and Scotland
  • Alison Sheppard - swimmer
  • Callum Skinner - Olympic gold medal winning cyclist
  • John Wark - Scottish footballer
  • Jim Watt - Boxer
  • Paul Weir - two-time world champion boxer

16 Facts that Prove Rosslyn Chapel is the World’s Captivating Chapel

One of the most iconic buildings in the world is the enigmatic Rosslyn Chapel, a small church building during the fifteenth century just a few miles south of Scotland&rsquos capital city, Edinburgh. What interests some people are the stone carvings that cover the chapel&rsquos entire interior surface, and much of its exterior, as well. For others, the intrigue lays in the stories that are told about the chapel. Some have said that its founder was trying to leave a message for future generations to one day decipher. After all, the chapel was built during a time when illiteracy in Europe was high, and book-burning was common, so he left a message in stone that many people now are trying to understand.

Drawing of the interior of Rosslyn Chapel. mythormorph.

16. William Sinclair Built Rosslyn Chapel in 1446

Very little is known about the people who actually constructed Rosslyn Chapel, particularly the stonemasons who created the intricate carvings that line both the interior and the exterior of the building. For many people, the whole place is shrouded in mystery, as its engravings have themes that are Christian, pagan, and even Masonic, though the chapel was built centuries before the organization known as the Freemasons came into existence. Much of its grandeur comes not from the building itself but the stories emanating from it.

One thing that is known is that it was originally founded in 1446 by a man named William Sinclair, who was the Prince of Orkney. Many of the documents relating to his own life and the origins of the chapel were destroyed in a fire, but some are preserved at the National Scottish Library in nearby Edinburgh. They show that the set out to construct a marvelous building and that he paid his workers quite handsomely &ndash regular masons received a salary of 10 pounds per year, equivalent to 50,000 pounds today, far above today&rsquos living wage. Master masons earned as much as 40 pounds a year, 200,000 pounds in today&rsquos money.


Voir la vidéo: Rosslyn Apprentice Pillar Sound Visualisation